Nearly 4 million hospitality jobs were lost in 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic, according to the American Hospitality and Lodging Association. As the hospitality industry recovers from recent hardships, it’s time to take a closer look at your hotel technology. We know finding the right solution for your hotel can be a challenge. It might not even be on your current list of to-do’s. That’s why we’ve compiled a list of lodging tech essentials to ensure a positive, exceptional experience for your guests and a profitable, stress-free environment for you. We’ll even tell you about a hiring solution that is proven to boost staff retention by 43%.
Benefits of Technology in the Hotel Industry
Hotel technology optimizes daily operations to ensure your business runs smoothly. Before we dive into which tools are right for you, here are some of the many benefits of implementing hotel technology.
- Save Time and Money
- Predict Hotel Industry Trends
- Improve Sustainability Practices
- Create a More Enjoyable Guest Experience
- Boost Hotel Staff Retention
- Increase Hotel Revenue
Current Technology Solutions in the Hospitality Industry
Artificial Intelligence (AI)
According to Hotel Technology News, artificial intelligence in the hotel industry is “imperative in order to stay in business.” In the last four years, AI has grown by 270%. However, when it comes to AI hospitality, there are some common misconceptions.
AI is not meant to replace employees. Rather, it allows hotel staff to spend more time on everyday tasks. Although there are a plethora of examples of artificial intelligence in the hotel industry, we narrowed it down to three useful ones:
- Revenue Management System: Supercharge your revenue with this AI pricing decision tool. “The speed and complexity of the pricing decisions are unmatched by the most seasoned revenue manager.” Hotels large and small have seen dramatic results, with top brands reporting an increase in annual revenue by millions of dollars and smaller ones reporting a 15% “sales lift.”
- Smart Hotels: Smartphones, smart homes, smart… hotels? Yup, that’s right. These tech-savvy hotels are mostly automated through the Internet of Things (IoT) for the benefit of guests and owners. From Amazon Echo devices in guests’ hotel rooms to apps that allow guests to check in and control the entirety of their stay, smart hotels could be the future of the lodging industry.
- Sprockets: Imagine what you could do if you could clone your best hotel employee. The possibilities are endless with Sprockets, a hiring platform that predicts which applicants will succeed like your current top performers. Our solution empowers hoteliers to build strong, cohesive staff that will go above and beyond for their guests and stay long-term. Forget sifting through piles of paperwork and wasting time with bad interviews — Sprockets is proven to reduce time spent on the hiring process by 37%, on average.
Reduce your hotel’s carbon footprint, improve energy efficiency, and attract more travelers with green tools like occupancy-based sensors — climate activists, Millennials, and Gen-Z guests will thank you. In fact, a recent study found that Gen-Zers will lead travel spending in 2022, so it’s important to take their ideals into account. Plus, 67% of all guests would spend a little more to help “reduce the environmental impact of their stay.”
- Occupancy-Based Sensors: These sensors are placed in hotel rooms and are triggered by motion. They’re able to detect when a room is unoccupied and shut off the power to save energy. In other words, occupancy-based sensors dramatically reduce hotel energy cost per room.
- LED Lighting: Did you know that energy-efficient LED lights save up to 20-25% of energy compared to traditional lighting? Oh, and they even last longer, saving you time (no more replacing light bulbs every month!) and money you would spend on electric costs. No wonder LED lights are a growing technology in the hotel industry.